Monday, November 28, 2011

Backup Internet Explorer 7 Search Providers List

I m a regular user of Mozilla Firefox, though I use Internet Explorer as well… but I personally feel Firefox is best to surf the net. There are some web pages which are not best viewed in Internet Explorer (It’s not that, I just don’t want to sound bias).

I am both an IE user and a fan of using custom search providers in search box, you might be interested to know how you can back up that list and/or restore it on another computer. Since I'm a regular Firefox user I have lots of items in my search list.

Manual Registry Backup Method

If you are comfortable using the registry, you can just open up regedit.exe through the start menu search box and then navigate down to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes

Right-click on the SearchScopes key and choose to Export. Give the file a name and save it somewhere you are comfortable . To restore this list on another computer you should only have to double-click it.

Command Line Method

You can use the reg.exe method on the command line to backup this key. You can either paste this command into a command prompt or save it into a batch file.

reg export "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes" searchbackup.reg

And thus ends the mystery of backing up search providers.

As simple as it can be…. I  have many things to share with you…just stay tuned!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment